If you knew at the start, the kinds of heart and life renovation God was going to take you through, would you have said yes to following Jesus so readily?
I went on to encourage people not to rush past a question like this because their answers could reveal something about the kind of journey they were on. I ended up sharing four things that my kitchen remodel reminded me of from my own personally painful heart renovation some years back. You can listen to that message below.
If you knew at the start the kinds of heart and life renovation God was going to take you through, would you have said yes to following Jesus so readily?
Remodeling Kitchens and Renovating Hearts
- LESSON ONE: The demolition can be sudden and swift.
- LESSON TWO: It seems so simple at the start...but one thing leads to another..and then another.
- LESSON THREE: It takes a lot longer than you ever expected.
- LESSON FOUR: There will be lulls when it feels like nothing is happening and all you can do is wait.
- LESSON FIVE: It gets worse before it gets better (a lot worse).
- LESSON SIX: There's a lot of grunt work you'll do that no one ever knows about.
- LESSON SEVEN: Gratitude can get you through.
- LESSON EIGHT: Nothing is really under your control.
- LESSON NINE: It takes a community--It's not DIY!
- Lesson Ten: It's gonna get messy...and then messier
In our spiritual lives, these are the moments where faith is forged, these episodes where we stop denying our doubts and try them on for size. In other words, these are the times when we just have to sit in the middle of our messy heart renovation. We may wish we could go back to some easier season, but we can't. Confused and anxious, we wonder if we could walk just away and forget we ever started this journey with Jesus. I've had a few times like these, moments when I would have left--if I could have. But frankly, I have always known that there is truly nowhere else to go. Like Peter, when Jesus asked if he would leave too, I could only eke out: "To whom shall I go Lord, you have words the of eternal life." (John 6:68)
In our spiritual lives, these are the moments where faith is forged, these episodes where we stop denying our doubts and try them on for size.
- LESSON ELEVEN: When all is said and done, it is worth it!
VIDEO OF MY NEW KITCHEN!
LESSON TWELVE (AND COUNTING): There is always something more to do --in kitchen remodels and heart renovations!